Saturday, April 23, 2011

I'm a runner

It's only been about 2 years since I chose running as my exercise of choice.  And honestly, I didn't really even like running then, it just happened that with triathlons you can't skip the third event, running.  I much more preferred swimming and biking.  In 2009 I completed two triathlons, and a couple other small running races, just for fun, with my mom. 
All the time I spent running for my training always felt like a chore, I ran because I had to. 
After I gained way too much weight during my pregnancy and realized that it wasn't coming off, I signed up for a half marathon.  I needed something that would force me get healthy.  I totally stalled my training.  I wasn't looking forward to hitting the pavement (or in most cases, the treadmill).  Grudgingly, but dutifully, I did eventually follow a training schedule.
Then, after 5 months of chore training, I finally realized that I looked forward to my runs. 
I started running just for fun on days when I had already done my scheduled training. 
I itched for Skylar to come home so I could take off without the jogging stroller.
And I look forward to Saturdays when I do my long runs. 
Today, I ran 11 miles, and it felt great.
My race is in two weeks, and I fully intend to continue a similar schedule after the race is over. 

I love running, and I've never felt better.


No comments: